Friday, July 26, 2013

Not Ready To Say Goodbye

So if your from around here, your enjoying in on these cool temps the last few days, and by cool I mean 60-70, not 100. It's been nice....yet scary. I'm not ready to part with summer. I feel like it's flown by yet again. I've only been swimmin' once! Haven't been to one lawn party. Haven't had a single Popsicle. Still have yet to catch a lighting bug. No late night star gazing. I have yet to see a baseball game, and I'm not close to my share of sweet corn. 



Fresh veggies are one of my absolutely favorite things about summer. This year is our first year doing a garden of our very own, and it's been fun seeing the work we've put in pay off. Luckly friends and family are sharing their bounties with us too so were getting lots of things fresh we didn't plant. 

Last night I made my first ever batch of green beans. Crazy it's my first, but normally chases momma makes so many (which she still is) that I never thought about making any, but she gave me my own bag of fresh picked beans to clean snap and cook. It felt like like a true test of southern woman hood cooking my first batch. Such a rewarding feeling when you have to put work and time into a dish that's been made for years by your grandmas and elders. 

It's not a hard process. Just takes a little while. The way Sharon (chases momma) taught me goes like this:

Snap off ends of beans, wash them up good, put them in a BIG pot with country ham chips & two spoonfuls of sugar. Let them come to a boil and than cut them back to a simmer for 3 hours or so. And than well eat um up.





See not the hardest southern dish out there to master. I still have many to take on :)

Some folks let them simmer much longer, but three hours was all it took for mine to be done up right how we like them. 

I love these kinda traditions and dishes. There what keeps the south stitched together. They help make memories happen, stories be told, and loved ones love on each other...all because folks are gathered around some comfort food. I know we'll be feasting with family and friends this weekend over some good ol' green beans, and plenty more garden fresh dishes. (Oh green fried tomatoes have been happening too..droooll)

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Cherish these summer days and nights, they'll be gone before we know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment