Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Protein Packed Pad Thai

So for the past few weeks my dinners have been grilled chicken, broccoli, and rice. I love the three so much, but I'm hitting a point I have to switch it up. Yesterday I found this Pad Thai recipe and last night we tried it out. I think we used to many noodles because the flavor wasn't as strong as I like it, but it was pretty amazing none the less. We're huge Thai food fans. We went through a period last summer where every Sunday was homemade Thai night. Never could make it as good as our favorite Thai Place though, which is Thai Flavor. (a little place tucked in one of Harrisonburg's side streets that beats out all the other Thai places in town if you ask me) The other reason I love this recipe is that it has a ton of good protein from the eggs, chicken, and peanut butter. After my typical 800 to 1000 calorie workout in the evenings I need that high protein to fuel my body. Now it does have a good bit of carbs too, but there are low carb pastas out there you can substitute noodles like Shirataki noodles, which are high in fiber and made from tofu. If you've never had tofu, it can be kind of tasteless but when you cook it right with seasoning and flavors its good. I grew up eating a lot of with my mother. It's not that bad, I promise. Other ways to make it healthier would be only using egg whites and better peanut butter. Also you could use something other than real sugar like stevia, another subsitute my mom has used since I was a baby. Either way this meal is so good, and keeps me on track while splurging a little too.  Chase and me tripled this recipe because it was the only thing we had for dinner (don't judge, one course meals are my savior after a long day) and becasue he eats leftovers for lunch every day. Hope you enjoy it if you try it out, I can tell you it won't be the last time I make it.


Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10-15 mins
Serves: 4

Ingredients

  • 6 oz whole-wheat cappellini or angel-hair pasta (about 1/3 16 oz box)
  • 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces (about 1 c precooked)
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 C chopped cilantro
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp red chili flakes

Directions

1.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
2.
Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining olive oil. Add chicken pieces and saute until just browned and no longer pink (about 4 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
3.
In a small bowl, whisk fish sauce, peanut butter, sugar, chili flakes, and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Set aside.
4.
Crack eggs into pan and scramble until firm. Add in chicken and cook for another 2 minutes.
5.
Add cooked pasta and peanut butter mixture to pan, tossing with chicken and eggs. Add chopped cilantro. Garnish with crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, or lime wedge if desired.

 

Nutritional Facts per serving

CALORIES342.4 CAL
FAT9.9 G
SATURATED FAT2.1 G
CHOLESTEROL191.5 MG
SODIUM478 MG
CARBOHYDRATES39 G
TOTAL SUGARS5.9 G
DIETARY FIBER4.9 G
PROTEIN24.8 G










1 comment:

  1. LOVE the nutrition facts. This looks great, baby! I always do taste of Thai but we need to try Thai Flavor.

    ReplyDelete